Tuesday, January 20, 2009

To have my own bible

One afternoon, to kill the time, again I sat on my couch and turned on my TV. Firstly, as usual, I kept pressing the button up to see what’s on every available channel that afternoon. There were lots of choices but I was bored already to watch any movies. I kept pressing until I stopped my finger for a wonderfully interesting scene. That was a view of a little girl.

The girl was silent but the narrator was telling stories of her. She had a very touching life. Her longing to have her own bible since her young age touched me right on my heart. How could a little girl loved to have something that she had no objections to do anything. She collected penny to penny until she thought enough to pay for her beloved bible. She worked that hard and persistently in order to have a bible only, a bible in Welsh. But when she was ready to seek for her bible, a storm stroked her dream down. She had to put aside her dream and let his father use her money for his medical treatment. What a long waiting for such a faithful little girl. Six years she collected the money by doing many house works in other people’s houses and all was for nothing because she couldn’t buy her bible.

Yet, she was a very obedient and faithful girl. She rose again, did the same hard work even harder and more than ever. Another six years passed and her wish finally came true. With her money she started walking miles and miles to the nearest town where she thought it could be. But what happened? The priest that she expected to have one to sell her was unable to help her get her dream. Every bible written in Welsh were out. She was crying and shaking and she was almost fainted for her longing to have her own Welsh bible would never come true. The priest, watching her sympathetically, rose from his chair and started walking around. He remembered that he got one Welsh bible in his drawer but it was very old and no longer in good shape. He kindly gave it to her and told her that it was the only one he could give. The girl was very happy and grabbed the bible to her heart. She was very happy. At that time she was the happiest person ever. She then set out to go back to her little village holding her bible tightly and her money on her other hand. The kind priest wanted none of her money but gave the bible for free.

That was really a touching story ever I saw in this New Year. I might never forget that marvelous story of a person longing to have a bible.

Then I asked myself whether I ever felt such thirst to have my bibles. By now I have more than three bibles in three languages. I think I need to give more time for myself to feel the thirst of reading God’s words.

No comments: