Tuesday, August 18, 2009

'Language, Identity and Culture'...How are you related?

Reading two of Stuart Hall's article recently, I find it difficult to see the link of how language, identity and cultural difference are connected. Actually I get some already in my mind, but not so sure if it is how Hall relates them.

Well, I come to an example of hundreds I can find in my background reality. I take one which is so obvious what I represent for and will always do. It's 'batak toba,' one of the ethnics found in my region back to North Sumatera.

Well, I'm a very typical batak woman. I do speak, work, think, and feel like what batak really do. Batak people speak loudly, yet it's not necessarily I'm in a bad temper or anger. I work fast and do some hard work such as lifting and fixing stuff. It is what Batak always do, never be afraid of doing hard work but do that for good, not depending oneself to others, hard to find 'fed up' in his mind. Thinking and feeling are sometimes quite mixed for they've very thin difference. Your feeling will influence your your way of thinking. Batak is not good at hiding their feeling and usually it is clearly seen from the face. I'm quite that way.

I inherit my batak culture from my parents. Firstly I'm born with my surename then I am raised in the culture. I see many of the culture as I grow up. I see how batak dress, how they speak their dialect, how they dance at parties, how they quarrel, even how they swim in a lake. They're just some that I can recall now.

Since I'm well educated in batak environment in which the people speak the dialect, use and apply the ethnical norms in every angles of their life, I can recognize any one of them if I find one at other place.

I am able to do so because the batak already have their identity. What I see to recognize them is their identity. The identity is performed through their language and culture. I know they belong to batak because of the language they use and the culture they show in dressing, speaking, acting, etc. I know that because they're different from the rest I may find them with.

So, is that all? Is that an appropriate way to interpret the interrelation happens in language, idenity and culture?

I'm still thinking.



No comments: