Saturday, September 5, 2009

I love you?

Attended a class overseas, we're taught that the sentence 'I love you' is not something special but just a general sentence to mean common care to everyone.

One of my Asian professors said that she was much troubled with her male westerns colleagues fond of saying 'I love you' to her. She told him several times not to say that to her because it meant special to her. Her friend tried to explain to her that he just liked saying that and it did not mean a thing. There was a clash between two cultures, westerners and Asians. One who sees that as a special thing and can only be mentioned in a special occasion by a very true intention of falling in love. On the other hand, the man only says that for a kind of care which means nothing at all referring to falling in love.

Every Asian students in my class nodding their head when my professor tells her experience above. But what is interesting here, I think, is that she has not been able to accept cultural difference. In order to feel comfortable in such situation, she should be able to negotiate with cultural difference. When she has come to that phase, I'm sure, she can feel comfortable when any westerners say 'I love you' to her. And feels it in more sense of 'real love'when her native friends say the words.

This is just one examples of hundreds of thousands or millions of cultural differences between western countries and Asia.

No comments: